CLARITY ENHANCED DIAMONDS
What are "Clarity Enhanced" diamonds?
- Almost every diamond has an internal structural inclusions that were created either during the process of crystallization of the diamond or during the polishing process. The principle of Clarity Enhancement is to make natural diamond imperfections/inclusions invisible to the naked eye.
- The Clarity Enhancement process is a state-of-the-art technology that optically eliminates those internal inclusions, which are naturally occurring in most diamonds and improve their brilliance and clarity. The result is a more visually stunning diamond that you can purchase for significantly less then a similar-looking, non-enhanced diamond. Best of all, Clarity Enhanced Diamonds are totally natural and come from the same diamond mines as all other diamonds. The Clarity Enhancement process is not visible to the naked eye. Only your trained jeweler will ever know that you own a natural Clarity Enhanced Diamond.
Does Clarity Enhancement "Change" A Diamond In Any Way?
- No, it is still a natural diamond - it just looks better. The amount of material used to fill the feather is so microscopic that even the world's greatest diamond laboratory, the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has reported clarity enhancement process adds ZERO WEIGHT to a diamond.
How can I know if a diamond has been "clarity enhanced"?
- The way to detect "fracture filled" or "clarity enhanced" diamonds is under the scope. The filling generally leaves a faint or strong neon color in the stone, which when observed face up is either invisible or could easily be mistaken for the spectral colors that are observed when looking at a stone face up. When the diamond is observed face down under a scope however the neon colors distinctly stand out.
Should I consider purchasing a clarity enhanced diamond?
- It depends on your circumstance. Many people buy clarity enhanced diamonds and are "very" happy. The ones who probably aren't happy are the ones who bought them and weren't told.
- There are many jewelers and people within the industry who frown on "clarity enhanced" diamonds, especially other diamond dealers. Why? Because this invention has brought less expensive, good looking diamonds to the consumer (considering the other 3C's are good too) and this is taking business away from them. If you are a guy or a looking to get the biggest diamond for the money and don't have all the cash to shell out for that 1, 1½, or 2 carat diamond but still want to get your girl a descent size rock, we would definitely suggest a clarity enhanced diamond. If you do have the bucks, then you may not even want to consider it. We at gem stone king think that It is nice to have the choice even if you do choose against it.
Does "clarity enhancement" reduce the value of the diamond?
- The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has put these stones through the most rigorous of tests. They found only 3 things that could cause the filling to come out.
- 1. Exposure to fire. Tip: If you do get a clarity enhanced diamond, don't let your girl hold her hand in fire for an extended period of time.
- 2. Exposure to boiling acid. Don't let her hold her finger or hand in boiling acid for an extended period of time.
- 3. Re-cutting. If the diamond had to, for some reason be re-cut the re-cutting process could cause the filling to come out.>
- When you get down to it, a jewelers torch and a jewelers boiling acid is all you need to beware of. If you are letting a jeweler work on the ring, simply make them aware that the diamond is clarity enhanced either by telling them or handing them the guarantee card. Then you'll be sure to avoid the fire and boiling acid thing. As for recutting. You'll probably never have it done.
Bottom line with clarity enhanced (filled) diamonds:
- If you are a guy who is under the gun for a descent looking diamond that is out of your price range (i.e. a 1 carat diamond that is less than $3,500), a 1½ct that is less than $5,500, etc.) you should definitely consider a clarity enhanced diamond. They are guaranteed for life and will help you get the size you want.